Wouldn’t it be seriously awesome to have an art car at Burning Man based out of our camp for 2018? This will give us a chance to really bond with a lot of people and extend our services to the community. We can share our sense of fun and adventure with those in camp and beyond. Monkey Car is an evolved idea that was inspired by the 2017 burn to feature the monkey King and the story of Journey to the West.
In 2017 Scott K (aka Toaster) found inspiration in a lot of things about that year’s burn. Partially a vision of Hanuman, the monkey warrior from Hindu mythology, and his influence on other doctrines like Hindu mythology. The story and the pageantry are amazing and the character of from Chinese mythology the Monkey King is completely fascinating. Of course there were additional inspirations especially in the music of the band called the Gorrillaz in their 2007 album “Dare”. Coincidentally, Jamie Hewlett who is the lead singer and song writer for the Gorrillaz made a move and a opera about the Monkey King called “Monkey King: Journey to the West”.
In the production of the project we have a lot of our assets and resources all lined up and now we need to generate enough leverage to make it work. Here is what is happening now:
- Working document plan (working document)
- Fund Raising Status: Stage 1:GoFundMe (goal $10k: reached $5k incl direct donations)
- Fund Raising States: Stage 2:HatchFund,Org (goal $17+k: still in progress)
- Working location: NIMBY OAK since Jan 2018
- Vehicle base (pending final agreement; see below and details in working doc)
- The vehicle was formerly Dr. Brainlove and we will take it over and update it to King of all Warriors
Funding video #1 (above) was a quickly produced video for the Indiegogo campaign that will hopefully help warm up some wallets and inspiration for the project. I am eager to get the process underway and take over the vehicle and the space where we will be working.
As of 10/18 all the revenue channels above are active and receiving a slower than desired rate of funds. We also have opened up ways to reach people on Facebook with:
- A Facebook Page for the Art Car : https://business.facebook.com/suntheateronmars/
- A Facebook Production Team Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1869183413409450/
- A Page on our camp web site: http://www.sunguardians.net/king-of-all-warriors/
Provided we can start our working plan on November 1st with rent, amount for the vehicle and more on time (total $5,500) and continue raising funds for supplies and work time for welding we can roll forward gently to success. Total budget so far is no more than $20k to get the art car to Burning Man.