So, you’re thinking about joining Sun Guardians for 2018 and cannot imagine a greater burn experience? You want to become a part of that history making micro-community. Becoming a part of a theme camp is something that requires commitment and engagement with your fellow campers that is not limited to a few days in the Black Rock Desert. As a theme camp we are essentially providing a space of engagement for OTHER citizens of Black Rock City. This is a production, that for some of us, goes on year round that is delivered and built before the event opens and closes as we schedule it to happen. This is going to be our 6th year on playa as a placed camp and we plan on continuing to do it as right as possible.
Before asking to join our camp, is this right for you? Do you even need a theme camp and if so why? If you are doing this then stand ready to commit a little of each day doing something for the camp to make sure our front of house and back of house is ready for the services and guests we will be entertaining. THE CAMP APPLICATION will appear in the footer of this page.
The camp fee is $____ and you will be required to produce 1 complete meal for all (up to 30 people) in camp; that means cooking and cleaning (there will be tips and suggestions to make this a lot easier than it seems in the meals section below. We also have a plan that an additional $20/ person goes to ice. With your camp fee you will get:
- access to the camp water supply for drinking and cooking
- access to the meal plan that includes Brunch and Dinner daily with few exceptions during setup and breakdown
- access to the camp kitchen for cooking and making any personal items (that you must also immediately clean)
- access to the shower and gray water depository
- access to all camp amenities
- coolers bled and iced daily if they are in the common area
You will send your camp fee after the completed application and subsequent approval unless you were invited to join by a camp lead to this link: LINK GOES HERE and then send your $20 ice money to this: LINK GOES HERE. Once these steps have been performed you are in camp.
This page requires some reading and attention to detail. There is no way around it, sorry to say, because much of this detail will be repeated and require you to be attentive and reasonably engaged. The term “reasonably” is a little vague, but you are expected to:
- attend meetings if at all possible OR catch up on the posted video (see Youtube Link above) and send lead the password from the video indicating you participated.
- engage people on the private Facebook Group (you will get a link upon completion of your application; we have a new one for 2018).
- participate in the mission we are engaged in and volunteer to help out as much as you can within reason (there is that word again).
Failure to meet even basic standards could result in your denial to join Sun Guardians. The deadline for canceling out and getting a camp fee is July 1st (PERIOD). This camp is a space where everyone should feel safe and shielded from anyone or any thing that might be a danger. If that threat comes from within camp that threat will be removed with no refund. You will be asked to leave or you may be removed by officials.
You are becoming a member of the Sun Guardians Theme Camp for 2018 and have completed the application and agreed to all the things that are included in that. This goes to commitment, presence and participation. It is up to you to make sure you can answer questions about the 10 principles and more. You will get a message from a lead with a link to the private Facebook Group (Sun Guardians 2018) and there will be several links at the top of that group that you need to visit.
You will look up the volunteer signup sheet and choose 1 item per day to do in camp. If you are a BRC Ranger or are Gate, Placement or any other official of Burning Man you may be exempt from this on days you are committed elsewhere unless you choose otherwise.
Burgins need not worry about losing out on the event, because everyone doing their part makes these jobs really easy and takes little time.
Choosing a meal slot: There is a slot on the volunteer page for you to choose a date/meal that everyone in camp will be required to select. You must meet the standards for these meals that are listed below and use the calculator provided to estimate your purchasing requirements. In some cases people will be allowed to team up or work with a partner. This is all detailed in the section on MEALS.
WHAT’S UP FOR 2018?
We are changing our mission and presentation slightly with more of a focus on the best parts of what our camp has offered over the previous 5 years. These details will being unfolding and be completely reveled nlt December. Under consideration right now:
- limiting or eliminating the yoga and meditation classes and putting the focus on tea and fun activities around that.
- updating our store front to something really special with bright colors and lighting that is super beautiful
- adding a couple swamp coolers to our front of house guest area AND our new covered tenting area for out members
Toaster will be bringing all his art featuring the Hindu Gods with a focus on Hanuman. The monkey god has a special place in our camp and it is exciting to have him represented.
Speaking of which, there is another exciting project in the works on the down-low to see if it can be realized for 2018 that will be a huge asset to the camp. If this happens it is a game changer for 2018 and all future incarnations of Sun Guardians: Sun G’s Tea House. It is called the “King of All Warriors” and is taking shape this year enhancing our camp 1000%
To join Sun Guardians:
- Please make sure you have read through this page and the Joining Sun Guardians Page
- Complete the JOINING SUN GUARDIANS APPLICATION (Click Here) and acknowledge all the notices in it
- Be interviewed by a camp lead or 2 (unless you are already part of the team)
- Pay the camp fee to Toaster (Scott) here (Click Here) [tba]
- Pay the ice fee here to the Ice Queen here (Click Here) [tba]
- ASAP at this point join the private Facebook Group and get involved: volunteering, projects, documents, etc
- Be present. Help make this project awesome for you and everyone camping with you.